I love baingan(eggplant) in any form may be baingan bharta, masala baingan, baingan bhajji.... (all coming up soon @ My Cook Book). So here is Masala Baingan with Baby Baingan :)
Baby Baingan - 6
Onion - 1 Large
Garlic - 8-10 pods
Ginger - 2 '' piece
Tomato - 2 Medium
Curry Leaves - 10-12
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard Seeds - 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek Seeds - 1/4 tsp
Asafoetida - a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Green Chilli - 1-2 (as per your taste)
Oil - to fry + to cook
- Prepare the baby brinjals by washing and cutting crosses deep down the bulbs all the way to 3/4ths. Leave about a 1/4 so they don't fall apart on cooking. Keep the calyx on. Rub a pinch of salt and keep for a while.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the brinjals & keep aside.
- Coarsely grind chopped onions, garlic, ginger, green chilli's.
- In a kadai heat 2 tbsp oil. Put a pinch of asafoetida, cumin seeds, mustard, fenugreek and let them sputter.
- Put the curry leaves and the coarse paste. Let it cook over low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Put the chopped tomatoes along with salt, turmeric powder, red chill powder, Garam masala and cook over low flame-covered for 3-4 minutes.
- Mix it properly and add the deep fried brinjals to it cook for another 2-3 minutes and serve hot.
Taste of Pearl City @ Any One Can Cook
from my kitchen