How can I forget the famous street food - Dahi Boora aau Aloo Dum, being from Odissa!!! People at Bhubneswar and Cuttack prepare the best among all in Odissa. I tried my best to reach there and still learning. :)
Urad Dal - 2 Cups (Soaked Overnight)
Sooji - 1/2 Cup
Oil - for deep frying
Curd - 2 Cups
Chat Masala,Chilli powder and cumin powder for garnishing.
For Aloo Dum
Potato - 4 Large (Cooked and Mashed)
Onion - 1 Large
Ginger-Garlic Paste -2 Tbsp (I used freshly Crushed)
Green Chilli's - 4 (Depend how much heat U want :) )
Tomato - 1 Large (Finely Chopped)
Cumin - 1/2 tsp
Mustard -1/2 tsp
Curry Leaf - 7-8
Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
Red Chilli powder -1 tsp
Garam Masala -1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp
- Soak Urad dal for 7-8 hours and grind it to a fine paste.
- To the bater add salt, sooji and mix it. (I added sooji to make the batter thicker)
- In a kadai take sufficient oil to deep fry the boora(vada).
- With hand make the batter into a donut shape and deep fry till both the sides are done. (till today I am not able to give it a donut shape :( still learning)
- In a bowl take some fresh water and dip the fried boor in it for about 10 minutes, so that it gets soft.
For Aloo Dam
- Pressure cook the potatoes.
- Peel and mash the potatoes with a potato masher adding required salt to it.
- In kadai take oil 2tbsp and once its hot put cumin seeds, mustard and curry leafs.
- When they splutter add ginger-galic paste and the chopped onions. Sauté it till it turns red.
- Add tomatoes, chopped chillis and cover the lid it for 2 minutes at a medium flame.
- Now add chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala to it.
- Now add the mashed potatoes and mix it well with the mixture.
- Keep it aside.
- With the palms press the Boora's and remove the excess water from it.
- In a seperate bowl take 2 cups Curd and 1 cup of water and salt as required and put the pre-soaked boora's in it.
- In a plate line the boora and keep the aloo dam n between.
- sprinke some chat powder, chilli powder and cumin powder.
- Garnish with coriander leaf...& have bite mixing both with lil curd.
- Enjoy the street food...:)
Linking it Tomato Blues @ Celebrating Street Food
from my kitchen